30 August 2006

Brooklyn Begins

I'm sitting crosslegged on my new bed (!) in my new apartment in a new city, surfing the interweb by candlelight. There are big, tall buildings outside, and a train that I can see from my window. The air is cool and clean after some recent rain, so I have the blind pulled up and the window thrown open wide. So, here I am.

Please send letters that I can put up on my walls. You know the kind I mean. These walls are just begging to be filled with new, exciting things.

Can I just mention how poorly I navigated the city today? What should have taken me 2 hours took 5, and I spent enough time lost on foot that my feet are still on fire. However, I did eventually make it to my two job interviews today, and there are no sure things, that's not bad for my first full day as a New Yorker.

Tomorrow I plan to call everyone I know that lives in the city and ask them if their jobs are hiring. Theresa is going to help me get copies of my resume, so Friday will be dedicated to tossing my credentials at every passing stranger. Once that is taken care of, I plan to actually start living a New York life. That is not to say that I haven't already had a great time (my plan is to see just how many match books I can steal from Barcade), and I've already gotten to see several of my lovely friends that are braving this city life. I just know that I'll get out my brush and start painting this town once I have an actual income with which to purchase paint.

Ah, the sound of sirens in the night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are the queen of my heart. I'm so glad you are doing well in the Big City.

-The doctor

Joseph said...

I am glad you are doing well. I hope you keep updating this, as I do read it.