03 February 2010

Your this! They wiggle!

Today I went to see several teachers teaching some wee little ones, in order to prepare for the possibility of a pre-school teaching gig at my campus come March. We got to know a little bit about the curriculum, which includes reading from GIANT books together and singing songs and coloring and a little bit of dancing and singing.

In Cherry class, a little boy wouldn't come inside because he thought I was there to replace his teacher. So much crying.

In Peach class, everyone could read!

In Mango class, they busted out some serious phonics, Thomas and Jade helped me make a picture that turned out to be a boat and a fire fish fighting a water fish. At first, the fire fish was totally winning, but at the last second, the water fish put the smack down.

My favorite part of the day, though, was Claire from Mango. She was pretty sassy, and whenever she blinked it was like she blinked with her whole face. It made her cheeks bob and her forehead scrunch, so she seemed constantly to be blinking, because it was so apparent. While we were coloring, she started laughing hysterically, and when I asked her what was funny, she couldn't breathe well enough to tell me.

Later, while everyone was dancing and singing to The Wiggles (terrifying but understandably awesome for ESL pre-schoolers), she made a point to tell me what had made her laugh.

"Teacher! When you color! Your this! They wiggle!"

My what?

Oooooooh.

My boobs.

"Well, Claire, I love to color."

She then proceeded to tell me the same thing verbatim between every song they sang (so about 19 times), sometimes grabbing my boobs, sometimes gesturing to where hers will be in about 14 years.

And thaaaaaat pretty much made the whole day worth it.

Update: The very next day I got asked the following question by a student:

"Teacher! Why you are not married and these are so big?"

If you can figure out the appropriate interpretation of that question, please let me know.

3 comments:

pops said...

my big smile for the day... well... maybe my week!

Anonymous said...

I'm with pops on this one, Blake... pretty good. Thanks for sharing yourself with the rest of us, and don't ever stop being true to who you are.

An old friend of your pops,

Lynn

Kearsten said...

Love it! And perhaps the marriage and big boobs questions were unrelated?