31 January 2010

Naked

So, today we're back to regularly scheduled programming, beginning work at 12:45 and working until 8:30ish. So, I got up at 9 and went to the gym, came home, turned on the hot water, took off my clothes, entered the shower/toilet (shoilet) ...

And there is nothing but freezing water.

Apparently they chose the moment I got naked to turn off all the heat and water to do repairs.

Currently I'm cooking breakfast in a towel and hoping that it will come back on in time for a shower before work.

Speaking of being in the buff, yesterday I went to a jimjilbang (a sauna room) for the first time. I've been wanting to go for months, but finally, FINALLY I got up yesterday and new that there was no time like the present. Koreans go all the time. With their friends, with their moms and grandmas, sometimes by themselves. Basically, a public bath. They give your some loose clothes to wear in the main room if you feel like it, but mostly everyone is just naked. I've never been in proximity to so much bare skin in my life. Little kids and old ladies, relaxing and exfoliating, themselves and each other. Picking at blemishes, massaging their fat.

About $7 for a really hot bath, a medium hot bath, a mineral bath, a cold pool, a really cold pool, whirlpools, a high-pressure stream, a wet sauna, a dry sauna, personal washing stations, and regular showers. I enjoyed some time hopping back and forth between the cold and the hot baths, and scrubbed away my dried skin for about an hour ... It made me happy that it's just part of what you do with your friends and family in Korea. I've never felt more comfortable being naked in my life, regardless of being the one tall, pink lady in there. It was a delight to be somewhere where modesty wasn't a consideration.

I want to go at least once a week for the rest of my life.

Well, they're not done fixing the water, but I do have some fried potatoes to eat, so I wish you all a good day.

2 comments:

kt said...

yes! exactly!

when you blog, the whole world blogs back at you.

pops said...

hey...maybe i could open one here!