15 September 2006

This Dirty, Pretty City

I can't help but enjoy the skyline, even in this slogging, rainy excuse for weather that's going on outside. And all the streets are clean, at least for a day, as the rain beats down on them. Especially in Central Part West. Damn it's clean over there.

I've spent the last two days handing out flyers to Jewish people all over Manhattan, for a Yom Kippur celebration in Union Square that combines various traditional rituals with performance art. I was given a list of Jewish events around town, and asked to flyer them as best I could. I'm not sure that I was very good at my job, as I refused to be aggressive in the way people who usually hand out flyers tend to be. However, I just asked each person "Can I give you one of these?" and smiled, and 90% of them said okay and smiled back. The whole gig definitely made me appreciate how cool and calm working the box office for Fringe Encore has been. I'm going to be really glad, though, when I have a steady income and no longer have to do things like flyer the Upper West Side.

The days of steady (if meager) income are fast approaching, if my sources are correct. More to come on that front, and by God if it doesn't involve thousands of pounds of chocolate. You think I'm kidding? Don't question me.

Tonight when I got off the L train I decided it was time to purchase some groceries and actually cook some food that wasn't eggs with bean sprouts. I made squash blossom quesadillas and broccoli pasta soup. There are leftovers. It's good for me to do these sorts of things in these fateful last few days when I'll actually have the time and energy. My internship starts on Monday, and soon, I will never be able to catch up on my sleep.

P.S. Mystery Commenter: I like this game. Let's play some more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

god in a knapsack climbing from your backpack! sexy savior doesnt waiver!

Anonymous said...

have you heard from the luckiest guy in the lower east side for a while? i hear he's got wheels, and you want to go for a ride. I haven't, but i also haven't been able to get any of my mail. a true travesty. The Princess is making vegan pailla tonight. Every time i see an avacado i think of our summer detox. Break all of your Monday legs. Every one,
-the doctor