16 November 2005

In-Class Essay Makeup

This is how I spent my afternoon. Oh, Western Civilization.

Below is a straightforward question in line with the readings and discussions so far during the second half of the semester. You have an hour or so to complete your essay based on the question. Here's what I'd like to see at the end of that time.

(Yada yada yada.)

Now, here's the question.

Does God play a role in a life lived according to nature?

Good luck.

Thank you, David Dewar, for prompting what was perhaps the worst essay I have written since Mrs. Cobb's American Lit class six years ago. You got me. Next time I'll know better than to skip half of the reading, because I will remember that one time I had to answer a question about religion and nature using Chaucer and Luther, when if I'd have read everything, I would have had Augustine and Aquinas at my fingertips.

Good trick.

No comments: