14 November 2005

This Week In the Arts

This past week I made up for some lost time (read: Three Sisters black hole) and went to a ludicrous number of events around town. I only fell asleep during one of them, and even then only briefly. More importantly, I only paid for my ticket to one of them, and that one was only $6. A brief description of the week as it was:


Monday 7 November - BARRAGE: Vagabond Tales



Do I really even need to say anything?

I would have thought it was just about the coolest thing ever when I was ten.

Seriously, the show has been described as 'STOMP meets Riverdance,' and the audience was clearly eating this shit up. Okay, it's pretty cool that these guys can fiddle and dance at the same time, but it was saved from Lord of the Dance status only because they never said anything like 'He is the greatest dancer in the world' or whatever shit they say about Michael Flatley. Not outloud anyway.

PLEASE NOTE: The percussionist had a serious 80's classic rock mullet. It was the best part of the show. The second best part of the show was the sexy British accent of one of the fiddle players.

My friend that took me was marginally embarrassed about the show's. . .well, the show's existence. I do not blame him; his mother bought him the tickets.

Wednesday 9 November - Ravi Shankar: Festival of India II

Ravi Shankar has been a peaceful, talented badass for 85 years now. He has also populated the world with gorgeous, musically talented daughters (Anoushka Shankar and Norah Jones). The music was haunting and cyclical and made me incredibly sleepy. I fell asleep on my mother's shoulder and had lovely hallucinatory dreams.

Friday 11 November 8PM- The Big Funk



He's about 2 minutes away from covering her face and hair in Vaseline. Mmmm, greasy.

I got to see this show, directed by one of my favorite cohorts, Laura Leffler-McCabe, while it was still in rehearsals. I'd have probably gone to see it during the run anyway, but it was already so good before their tech week started that I new things could only go from great to awesome, and I was right. Laura, I believe, understands the idea that the best way to make theatre that is good is to make theatre that you, as a director, actually like. I got to watch good actors have clear revelations, with good timing, good jokes, and great music. Hurray for a show that I liked beginning to end!

Also, an audience member ended up with a throwing knife in her lap, which was exciting. She probably won't forget the show any time soon.

Friday 11 November 11PM- Atmosphere

1. Slug is my hero.

2. When Ant came out to spin (the first part of the set was with musicians) the bass was so heavy I felt like I was going to vomit.

It was everything I had hoped it would be and way fucking more.

Saturday 12 November - The Mammals and Arlo Guthrie



This darling of a man bears many a striking resemblence with my father. Just look at him. Dad's a little more of a wild and crazy guy on stage than Arlo, but they both know how to tell a story. I got to sit next to my pop during the show, which was totally awesome.

Now, for the big question. WHY DID NOBODY TELL ME ABOUT THE MAMMALS? I've totally been in the dark. Folk-rock-bluegrass brilliance, I tell you. Just enough fiddle to make me wanna dance, just enough sad banjo to make me cry a little. It was like all the best parts of Trail Mix without Fiona Ritchie (sad) and Irish folk music (hooray!). Not to mention they were all ridiculously cute (Pete Seeger's grandson Tao Rodriguez-Seeger absolutely included) and the bad-ass fiddle playing girl reminded me of Cara of Dusty Bookshelf fame.

WHOO! May my life always be this exciting. For real.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you'll probably never see this, (it's 4-29-2009,)but you sure put a lump in this old geezer's throat!!! i love you, boo...