28 November 2005

This May Cause Rioting

I almost received a beheading recently when I mentioned to my friends that I thought the 3rd Harry Potter movie was better than the 4th. Hey, I liked the 4th movie, it was exciting and beautiful, Ron and Harry continue to become better actors (poor Emma Watson. . .someday her time will come), and Robbie Coltrane is my hero. Seriously, though, I just watched Prisoner of Azkaban again, and it's totally got Goblet of Fire beat all over the place. It has what feels like a complete plot, with the proper amount of exposition, suspense, and build, and no one bellows with their face upturned to the heavens ("NOOOOOoooooOOOO!!!!"). Watch 3 again, people. I'm serious.

1 comment:

chewingmedulla said...

Ron's still mugging, don't get me wrong. It seems to me that he finally made some improvement, though his growth is definitely more physical than anything else (the boys have muscles and it's creepy)*.
He, on occasion, seemed atleast capable of subtlety, when I had previously thought that an impossibility.

Some of the more subtle, emotional moments for Hermione stood out to me as being in some cases bizarrely flat, and in others too over the top. (This, of course, can be said of all of the movies generally, and is connected to their charm.) I think I noticed because I had seen such marked improvement from Emma over the previous movies, not to mention she started out better than most, and I was hoping to see more of that, but really she just kind of plateaued.

So: I was pleasantly surprised by Ron, and disappointed by Hermione. That does not mean, however, that Emma Watson is now worse than Rupert Grint. It's all about broken expectations.

Vote for best heightened but believeable performance in a Harry Potter movie: Robbie Coltrane. The man's a genius.

*note: people whistled and catcalled in the theatre when Harry takes the egg into the prefect's bath. It was funny, and extremely creepy.